[Etoys] Fwd: [Sugar-devel] Unified Bundles

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Apr 9 04:01:32 EDT 2009

On 09.04.2009, at 06:58, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> On April 7, 2009, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > Begin forwarded message:
> > > From: Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com>
> > > Date: 7. April 2009 01:05:09 MESZ
> > > To: Sugar Devel <sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org>
> > > Subject: [Sugar-devel] Unified Bundles
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Aleksey finally prodded me (by creating an empty page and
> pointing me
> > > at it) into writing down my idea for Unified bundles which
> merges .xol
> > > and .xo files together.
> > >
> > > It diverged somewhat into a plan to recast activities which do not
> > > support actually creating anything as "Content viewers". Those are
> > > ones like Read, Read Etexts, View Slides, Jukebox, etc.
> > >
> > > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Unified_Bundles
>
> Actually, I have a question. Paste from the link above:
> ==========
> Etoys-based Unified content bundles are made up of a Squeak script
> or Etoys project. The activity.info file contains the line:
> exec sugar-etoys-activity [options] <squeak_file>
> =====
> In the freecell-1.xo:
> exec = FreeCell.sh
> ======
> I assume
> sugar-etoys-activity <==> FreeCell.sh
> Is the website obsolete? (note the = missing in the website line)

The website is just a proposal, it's not agreed upon, much less
implemented.

In fact the "Unified Bundles" are not really needed for Etoys anyway,
because our bundles already are very lean and only have a tiny shell
script (like in the FreeCell case). The proposal IMHO applies only to
activities that have a significant amount of code in their bundle,
which should not be duplicated in each "content bundle".