[Etoys] A low floor "Paint" door into eToys

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 07:10:48 EST 2008

On Saturday 22 Nov 2008 12:48:36 am Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   I haven't forgotten your suggestion, but it still doesn't have the
> thing unfortunately.  But, I can show how you would do.  I made a
> little Etoys project.  Download this:
>
>   http://dev.laptop.org/~yoshiki/etoys/SimplePaint.005.pr
This is still modal. I found young children (non-English) have trouble dealing
with such modal painting environments without "training". The paint tools are
not child-friendly. The tool cursors has no visual feedback of the picked
color. The circle cursor even has its hot spot at 10 O'clock instead of the
center. The auto popup color panel is a major irritant. Just move the cursor
from the upper part of onion skin towards "clear" or "toss" to see what I
mean. Whatever happened to the principle of least astonishment?

Children learn to compensate for these irritants over time but is a modal
paint tool really necessary? Many of the paint tool functions can be achieved
if we allow children to "embed" or "stamp" by a press-n-hold or lay pen
trails using hold-n-drag. A child can spend more time "thinking" than
worrying about missteps.

Subbu