[Etoys] unable to keep current projext: duplicate selector

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Fri Nov 14 18:14:09 EST 2008

At Thu, 13 Nov 2008 22:46:06 +0100 (CET),
Markus Schlager wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Using etoys in class (11th grade in Germany) on Linux (ubuntu gutsy)
> several pupils had the problem not to be able to save their porject due to
> an 'error: duplicate selector'.
>
> This error shows up as well, when they are dragging a 'players'-tool from
> the supplies flap into the world.
>
> Some debug-logs for these two situations are attached.
>
> I'm not sure, what they did wrong. Since several pupils had this problem
> already, this might be a rather common mistake. Maybe they had a variable
> and a script with the same name, or they deleted a script and created
> another one having the same name. Unfortunately I don't know what they
> did, and they weren't able to tell me what they had done that might cause
> the problem.
>
> Any ideas?

  What is the version of the system Etoys?

  There are some control characters in it so the user might have
pressed some key combination and Etoys didn't handle it properly, or
there is a bug (could introduced recently with the camel cased names).
In any case, the user shouldn't see this in any (normal) circumstance
and it should be fixed.

  Can you send us (Scott, Bert, Ted, Takashi and me) the project?