[Etoys] Another experimental version of OLPC image for non-XO environments

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Tue May 13 01:19:57 EDT 2008

On 5/13/08, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  We've been doing this on and off, but we put together another set of
> files that could be an Etoys system downloaded from squeakland.org as
> the official new version.  This time, it is closer.
>
>  Please download:
>
> http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/Squeakland-OLPC-080512.zip
>
> and unpack it.  And, on Windows XP or Vista, nagivate to "etoys.app"
> folder and double click etoys.exe to launch it.  On Macintosh, double
> click "etoys.app".  On Linux, execute etoys.sh.

For the records, in the version of windows vm bundled, there is
not-yet-annouced-widely useful enhancement to trunk version.
(I think we want to merge them to trunk and document it at squeakvm
site) .  That can expand some variables in
SecureDirectory/UserDirectory settings in etoys.ini :

+ %MYDOCUMENTS% will be expanded to actual "My Documents" directory
for current user.
+ Environment variables in SecureDirectory setting can be expanded now.

Bundled etoys.ini would be good starting point to learn the functionality.

Yoshiki,
The version of VM bundled have a known problem :
%MYDOCUMENT% is expanded with backslash terminated.
(I think Squeak part should handle it appropriately)
I came to know it seems fixed in the latest stuff on svn/installers
when I built plugin installer by myself and test it last night.  You
might want to check it out.

Cheers,
/Korakurider