[Etoys] Sound tool refactoring and enhancement

Karl Ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Sat May 10 04:28:55 EDT 2008

polishookm wrote:
> Karl, Thanks for attaching the changeset with the StarMorph tile
> additions. I'm more than a little amazed. As best as I can tell from
> code, defining and adding new tiles is as simple as
>
> 1. Add an 'additionsToViewerCategories' as needed
> 2. Add a method or methods to Player to account for whatever is in the
> 'additionsToViewerCategories' method.
>
> To test, I added 2 more tiles to the changeset:
>
> " 1 "
> (command openTranscript  'Show a transcript?')
> " 2 "
> (slot starRatioReloaded 'How long vertices are within me' Number
> readWrite Player setStarRatio: Player getStarRatio)
>
> .... The 2nd tile, obviously, is almost identical to one of the tiles
> you've already defined ...
>
> .... So 'command' refers to a message that will be sent to Player -
> which means Player has to know how to respond to that message (in this
> case, Player requires an 'openTranscript' method).

And Player usually passes the message on to the player costume, so you
have to know the internals of the costume to know what messages it have
implemented. Costume is most usually a subclass of morph.

Sound is unusual as it does not have a morphic costume and the only
visual representation is tiles.

> 'slot' defines an instance variable. In this case, 'Number readWrite'
> means the inst var will be a number with get/set access which, in turn,
> means corresponding get/set methods in Player (as per your changeset)
> have to exist.
>
> My questions are:
>
> (1) am I stating this all correctly?
> (2) is 'additionToViewerCategory' used anywhere in the system?
>
> * * * * * * *
> " From Morph additionsToViewerCategories "
>     Subclasses that have additions can either:
>         - override this method, or
>         - (preferably) define one or more additionToViewerCategory* methods.
>
> Anything else you might add in the way of advice?

I recommend playing around and testing stuff. Ask questions here and if
you could document stuff you learn it would be great :-)

> Thanks in advance for all further information and thanks one more time
> for demonstrating how easily tiles can be added.

Its easy to add the scripts for most stuff. I spend most of the time
understanding the internals of the morph I want to script, like finding
the access point and what kind of data types are sent.

Karl