[Etoys] etoys performance problems

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 26 06:13:12 EDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 7:59 , Andreas Raab wrote:
> Ties Stuij wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ofset.org
>> > wrote:
>>> Hello Tie,
>>>
>>> Your email is very interesting.
>>> And I am wondering: does jpeg file inserted in a Squeak image then
>>> saved in a .pr file are saved in the .pr file as jpeg data or just
>>> 24bits RBG form data?
>>> I am enclined to think this is the second option, if so the size
>>> impact is hudge.
>>
>> Hmm, yes interesting question. I didn't investigate, but judging from
>> the amount of pictures compared to the file size, I guessed they were
>> stored compressed in one way or another. Perhaps somebody with
>> knowledge could shed some light?
>
> It's compressed. When you load a form via Form>>fromFileNamed: the
> project's resource manager will remember the original bits (the jpeg
> file). Only if the reference gets lost (the file deleted, the image
> moved) it will use the uncompressed bits.

I'm almost sure (though not 100%) that this code is not active
anymore, forms are nowadays alway stored as plain objects. It's easy
to test though - make a project, load a jpeg, save the project, unzip
it - there would have to be a jpeg in the zip.

>>> With your project growing,  you may want to stop using .pr file and
>>> use external file to describe the activity (xml files) plus media
>>> data
>>> (jpeg, ogg, etc.). I am betting you will see a hudge performence
>>> boost. But then you are cut from Etoys..
>>>
>>> I am currious to read Squeak friends advices.
>>
>> As am I,
>
> I would not recommend going down this path if you're new to Squeak and
> don't know what you are buying into. The .pr files work because half a
> dozen people spent a couple of years to make all of this stuff work.
> You'd be pretty much on your own recreating this effort so unless you
> have sufficient resources just try to deal with the inefficiencies and
> leave the architecture alone.

Actually, Yoshiki's new s-expression based project format does pretty
much exactly that.