[Etoys] [squeak-dev] etoys performance problems

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 01:39:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:32 AM, John M McIntosh
<johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

>  On Mar 25, 2008, at 10:46 AM, Ties Stuij wrote:

>  When I was building the Sophie storage subsystem for OLPC I noticed
>  the OLPC "hard disk" uses a compressed file system. There is some
>  technical notes on this suggesting developers do NOT zip files because
>  this is pointless:  Compress the file, then store on a compressed file
>  system.
>  On read then you use cpu time to uncompress the compressed file, then
>  uncompress the file.  Waste of CPU time.

Of course, I remember now I read that somewhere, so that's yet another
layer of compression; nice. And yes, for our own projects I already
removed the zipping.

>  See comment above about not zipping JPEGS/image data that is
>  included in the ZIP file.   We choose to store media (sound/video) in
>  a separate
>  media folder because it was pointless to unpack from a zip file on
>  need. However
>  this might not be possible when you want all the data in the zip file,
>  still you could
>  alter the code so that sound/video files aren't compressed by the zip
>  logic when
>  they are added to the zip file.

Yes, well as mentioned above, the not zipping isn't a problem. Also
'cause we distribute Epaati in an .xo bundle we've already got a
single file for distribution; which is, I'd like to mention just for
poetic reasons, yet another layer of compression! And an Etoys project
file already houses all the content needed for your project, all of
which is loaded at startup. There might indeed be something to say for

>  There are programming tools in the image that allow you to see who is
>  holding
>  onto a project, I'll let someone else comment.

Ah, I'd very much like to know! Anyone?

>  http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/OggPlugin/
>
>  I am currently working on a gstreamer plugin for OLPC via funding from
>  Viewpoints Research Institute,
>  and have a target completion date for the end of the month.  This
>  plugin will let you build
>  gstreamer pipeline chains and run them, right now you can build a
>  pipleline to decode  audio/video ogg files for
>  example and send the video to a X11 window and the audio to the
>  hardware sound player.
>
>  I also hope to have 'sinks' which let you import audio and video into
>  Squeak.

Excellent, thanks.

/Ties