[Etoys] update server for Squeakland-OLPC

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Jun 9 14:30:12 EDT 2008

  Hi, Subbu,

At Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:54:29 +0530,
K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't have an XO but use the Squeakland-OLPC etoys image on a Linux box. The
> update URL in this etoys image points to tinlizzie.org/updates/squeakland.
> Etoys bug fixes are going into tinlizzie.org/updates/etoys but not into
> updates/squeakland.
>
> Will the Etoys image for XO and non-XO hardware start diverging? Or is the
> plan to keep them the same?

  In a sense, the answer is yes.  Here is the reason:

  A typical installation of Squeakland-OLPC will be at schools, and
typically they have strict policy on changing/updating files (i.e.,
they don't like to change the applications once they are installed).
We decided to release a frozen version for that year and not pushing
updates to Squeakland-OLPC.

  In the meantime, the actual OLPC development will be under
day-to-day updates and modifications.  We need to keep up with their
release cycles, and we should answer the needs from deployments.  We
will be pushing updates to OLPC-Etoys.

  After a year, or some time period, we will make a new
Squeakland-OLPC package based on the latest changes on OLPC-Etoys.
There, we do synchronize the base image not before too long.

  There is a possibility that some changes to OLPC-Etoys may break the
compatibility.  (I.e., a project that made in the cutting edge
OLPC-Etoys image might not load into the "latest" Squeakland-OLPC.)
We should minimize this, but it would happen when that change is
really needed.