[Etoys] [Squeakland] Please help us for translation (An experimental version of OLPC image for non-XO environments)

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 03:59:45 EDT 2008

2008/6/2 Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org>:

>  Hello,
>
>  We are still trying to package the Etoys for non-XO environments,
> along with, of course, for XO.
>
>  Currently, end of June is the *real* target of release day of non-XO
> packages.  The idea is to put relatively small set of languages in it,
> and it looks like English, German and French are most complete ones.
> (Thank you!)
>
>  But, for the US audience, (new world's) Spanish is also important.
> And Portugese (br and pt) seems to be fairly good to me, but of course
> I can't tell the quality right away.
>
>  Can you help us giving the information of the translation quality
> and completeness for these languages?  For the non-XO environment, we
> will not have good font rendering mechanism other than what we have
> now, so still the main target is the Latin languages.
>
>  The completeness doesn't have to be so close to 100%, as now many of
> the phrases are not for Etoys (rather for the Smalltalk development).
> But we would like to hear the opinions of the native speakers.
>
>  Please visit
>
> https://dev.laptop.org/translate/
>
> and see how far the translation are going in terms of quality and
> coverages.  Bert told us that there is an old style .translation file
> for Spanish.  We can convert it to .po file, but not sure again if we
> should merge them to the site, as it might wipe out newly translated
> phrases.  Does anybody has good ideas how to proceed?

Yoshiki, as you know, in LinEx we have all the strings translated for the
etoys image (plus some other strings from some packages as drgeo, skeleton,
etc.). Antonio Moreno has contacted with some of the etoys people, but the
answers are not really clear about the way you want us to give you the
translation.  Our current image is totally based on the current olpc image ,
with changesets added from us, but we have all the classes and objects the
etoys image has, so if you give the exact way you want us to extract the
translation you can have the spanish translation finished (and tested &
checked) right now.
About the newly translated phrases, if our image has been used and tested
for several years, with teachers fixing translations when some mistake was
found, what's the problem on wiping out newly translated phrases that has
not been checked for so many people?

Regards.
José L.