[Etoys] Sugar vs. Etoys questions

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Jan 20 15:21:31 EST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 14:02 , Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

> At Sun, 20 Jan 2008 00:33:14 +0100,
> Karl wrote:
>>
>>>   That would be a good idea.  We can modify "File Dialog" to support
>>> such a "directory".
>>>
>> That sounds good. Any tips for where/how to do the hook up to
>> Journal ?
>
>   http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5571 has a Python script called jls to
> get the listing in Journal.  Replicating what it does in Squeak with
> the DBusPlugin would be the starting point.

We have code for that already. For example, the file list shows an
entry called "Projects in Journal" which retrieves all project files
from the Journal. The problem is rather integrating that with a file
list - because datastore entries do not have a filename, and hence no
extension, which Squeak relies on in its current UI.

OTOH, the official way to choose a file from the Journal is calling
the "Object Chooser", a rather new addition to the Sugar API:

	http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5274

I'd try to use that first ...