[Etoys] Creating an activity (was Re: BotsInc)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Jan 20 11:38:34 EST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 11:07 , Korakurider wrote:

> I will try again with Bert's packager after update.1 is released.

My "packager" simply takes a .pr or .st file and adds the directory
structure and files necessary for a .xo bundle:

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_Bundle

It also works on systems other than an XO. Open a file list (*),
select a .pr or .st file, click the button labeled "XO". A bundle
will be saved to the default directory (not necessarily the currently
selected directory).

Currently it uses the --uri option to the etoys-activity script,
though I'm not sure this is the best way. I did it  because that
allowed  to reuse the original etoys script verbatim, but it required
changes to the #welcome: function in the image startup code which
means the bundle would require an even newer version of Etoys than is
currently released. Also, --uri is not used by Sugar at the moment
but might eventually get usage. I think I will change it to pass the
file as startup-document instead, which is more compatible with older
releases.

Also on my todo list is saving the current project as XO bundle
(instead of choosing in the file list), and if we are running in
Sugar then put it into the Journal and show it.

- Bert -

(*) Use the menu that opens when you press the "view source" key. For
some reason this does not work anymore in the latest builds, but
"Alt-," is an alternative.