[Etoys] portuguese in pootle

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Jan 18 15:38:34 EST 2008

I took a look at the Pootle pages today and noticed that it indicates 0%
for eToys in the Portuguese(Brazil) version:

https://dev.laptop.org/translate/pt_BR/etoys/

For the European Portuguese version the situation is much better at 51%:

https://dev.laptop.org/translate/pt/etoys/index.html

Looking at some of the phrases, however, I can see that this second file
should really be pt_br instead since things like "file" were translated
to "arquivo" rather than "ficheiro".

I suppose it is easy enough to just copy one file to the other and so
jump from 0% to 51% for pt_br, which is important for meeting the
Update.1 deadline. But it seems to me that any changes after that will
make the two files diverge. I am not familiar with Pootle - does it have
any kind of inheritance mechanism? The difference between pt and pt_br
would be so small that dealing with them separately means effectively
doing all the work twice.

-- Jecel