[Etoys] The New Etoys image

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Feb 18 01:19:23 EST 2008

  Hello,

  The Etoys team made a new version of the Etoys image.  This time, we
decided:

  * to bump the major version number from 2 to 3.
  * to make a new .sources file called EtoysV3.sources, and
  * create a new update stream called "etoys3.0".

Because of the Squeak's source code management limitation, the method
change history needed to be discarded, and migrating from etoys 2.3 to
etoys 3.0 is not automatic.  To keep up with the new head of the
update stream, you have to do the following.

  * Download

    http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/EtoysV3.sources

    and copy it to the directory where the VM resides or your image
    resides.  (Search SqueakV3.sources on your disk and place
    EtoysV3.sources right next to it.)

  * Download http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/etoys-dev-3.0.zip and extract
    the files to your working directory.

  * If you are working in an 2.3 image, migrate your code and objects
    somehow to the new image.  (If you know what you are doing, you
    could evaluate:
           SystemVersion newVersion: 'etoys3.0'
    in your 2.3-based image and fetch new changes for 3.0.
    But doing so is discouraged.)

  For the OLPC project, the etoys2.3 stream *should* be "final". As
long as the Update.1 deadline doesn't force us, we are not going to
push any new changes to etoys2.3.

  New changes will be pushed to the etoys3.0 update stream.  Please
fetch updates now and then to your 3.0-based image.

-- Yoshiki (for the Etoys team)