[Etoys] [RELEASE] Etoys 4.0 - a brief report on testing etoys 4.0 (obtained etoys-4.0.2201.tar.gz )

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 21 22:11:53 EST 2008

A report on testing etoys 4.0 (obtained etoys-4.0.2201.tar.gz from bert
freudenberg email tuesday)

In brief - it works same as previous version in 2 hours of playing, making
scripts etc.

I could not test on OLPC because my olpc has "stuck alt key" .. so tested on
On Suse Linux 11.1.

1. tried to install etoys-4.0.2201-1.noarch.rpm - this did not work,
complained about dependency on VM (squeak?) > 3.10

2. So, I Installed Squeak from tar:

  - downloaded "Linux" VM tar from http://squeak.org/Download/
(file=http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/unix-linux/Squeak-3.10-1.i686-pc-linux-
gnu.tar.gz)
  - installeD above squeak:
      - cd /home/mzimmermann/orig-files/Squeak-3.10-1
      - /bin/sh INSTALL
  - this did put squeak in this did put squeak to /usr/local/bin/squeak

3. Installed etoys 4.0 from tar: (maybe I should try the rpm at this point?)
  - obtained etoys-4.0.2201.tar.gz from bert freudenberg email tuesday
December 16, 2008
  - untared to /home/mzimmermann/orig-files/
  - untar created directory etoys-4.0.2201
  - cd /home/mzimmermann/orig-files/etoys-4.0.2201
  - ./configure
  - make
  - make check
  - make install
  - this did put etoys to /usr/local/bin/etoys (binary)
      and /usr/local/share/etoys (content)

4. edited /usr/local/lib/squeak/npsqueakregister
  - so this line looks like:
  BROWSERS="netscape mozilla mozilla-firefox opera MozillaFirefox/lib firefox"
(this would be a good idea to  add to the distro! firefox is 20% of market
share)

and:

 #  vvvvvv copy etoys image to become the plugin image
cp /usr/local/share/etoys/etoys.image /usr/local/lib/squeak/SqueakPlugin.image
cp /usr/local/share/etoys/etoys.changes
/usr/local/lib/squeak/SqueakPlugin.changes
#  ^^^^^^

5. Installed squeak/etoys HTTP plugin:
  5.2 Ran program to register squeak plugin
      cd /usr/local/lib/squeak/
      ./npsquekregister

6. Tested by running etoys /usr/local/bin/etoys

  - works great, i saw no differences from the previous version in 2 hours of
playing

  - plugin also works in Mozilla 3.0.5 and Konqueror

Nice - free version of Etoys :)

Milan