[Etoys] Revise and QA NASA Connect Squeak Files

Mike Lee curiouslee at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 20:19:27 EST 2008

Hello all,

Bert suggested I post to this list about our plan to revise some of the old
NASA Connect content so that it renders correctly in the current versions of
eToys for XO and desktops.

http://connect.larc.nasa.gov/squeak.html
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=etoys&w=48600098314%40N01

I manage the OLPC Learning Club DC group which has 150 members growing. Our
membership is very diverse including small children, teens, parents, adult
fans of OLPC, retirees and grandparents. In my day job, I am a sponsor
liaison to the MIT Media Lab. I also met Alan Kay at the Diamond Exchange in
Monterey earlier this year.

http://www.olpclearningclub.org

The Learning Club meets monthly at the Arlington Virginia Career Center,
Gallaudet University or Nortel Networks. About a dozen of us are interested
in revising these NASA files in a one-day Jam as a way of getting us more
familiar with using eToys. The Jam is scheduled for January 17, 2009 at the
Arlington Career Center. Nortel Networks will fund some of the expenses. Our
connection to NASA is Jim Egenrieder of the Virginia Tech Math and Science
Education Programs. Jim has a relationship with the NASA Langley Research
Center as part of his work with their eClips project.

I have also been in touch with Randy Caton, the original author, who is in
retirement, but cheers us on. He may get involved again at some point in the
near future.

I'll share my work plan in the coming days if there is interest. I also
welcome suggestions from this list of other ways our group can help.

Mike
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mikelee