[Etoys] unable to keep current projext: duplicate selector

Markus Schlager m.slg at gmx.de
Wed Dec 10 15:32:27 EST 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

> At Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:07:57 +0100 (CET),
> Markus Schlager wrote:
>
>> Attached is the SqueakDebug.log when I start the image, open a viewer for
>> 'tropfen' and try to open a script-editor for the Script 'tropfen>>a' by
>> dragging the tile from the viewer into the world. After that I left squeak
>> (all on ubuntu hardy).
>
>  This SqueakDebug.log seems showing a different problem.  Hmm.

Sorry for that, the startup-problem with unicode is not relevant, since it
only occurs on my notebook, not on the computers, the pupils are using
(ubuntu gutsy).

>  Let us see what is going on with the tropfen>>a.  Yes, the data
> structure of the script is in an inconsistent state
> (currentScriptEditor shouldn't be nil for an existing script).
> Somewhere in the course, did the user try to remove the script but got
> an error or such?

This might have happened, but I guess they won't remember this. I'm
pretty sure they did something like this. On the
other hand, I've encountered this with five or six projects now. The only
errors I was told about were the duplicate-selector-errors when saving.

What I could imagine is that the pupils messed up variables and scripts,
for example they might have created a variable and a script with the same
name and have deleted the variable at some point.

> Or had the script gone through a textual code and
> the project was saved at one point?

No.

> Script names with umlauts should
> be fine, but was some non-latin-1 character used?

ubuntu Linux is using utf-8, not latin-1

>  I'll investigate more but any recollection would be helpful.
>
>  For the startup time problem, what were the first a few characters
> in ....ffentlich?

Bert is right about 'Öffentlich' (public, uppercase)) which is a folder
every user has in his home-directory by default. But as I wrote before,
the startup-problem is specific to my notebook.

Markus
  Markus Schlager                  m.slg at gmx.de