[Etoys] on DrGeoII loading

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Fri Aug 29 03:08:52 EDT 2008

Hello Ties,

Thanks for your interest in Dr. Geo.
I am happy to read your feedback regarding the limitation of Squeak to
load efficiently external application like DrGeo.

Shipping an image in a DrGeo XO bundle is definitely an option but
then you face another category of problems: what is happening when you
want to save in the journal a DrGeo project? What will happen when you
want to reload it? I am afraid of some collision between Etoys and
DrGeo image.

It need some more though.

Frankly I am tempted by an even much more radical and long term
sustainable approach:

- use the UIEnhancement to design a more full featured UI for DrGeo
- design a Sugar theme for UIEnhancement
- design a specific persistence mecanism for DrGeo activities
- ship the whole in a Pharo Smalltalk image

The later one could be splited in Pharo+Efficient way to load external
application.

A side effect of this will be to give us a true Smalltalk environment
to write modern looking application for education.

Hilaire

--
http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire