[Etoys] questions about XO etoys backup

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Aug 28 17:29:45 EDT 2008

At Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:26:21 -0400,
Timothy Falconer wrote:

> We're trying to extract our best Etoys projects from our pilots to put
> on our website.
>
> We've been using a shell script that uses rsync to backup Etoys
> projects from our XO pilots (build 703)
>
> 	rsync -rltvz --modify-window=1 --stats --progress /home/olpc/.sugar/
> default/org.vpri.EtoysActivity/data/MyEtoys/Squeaklets/

  Squeaklets is meant to be a transitive work directory used when
creating the .pr.  We are contemplating to remove it often, so we
cannot guarantee the above works long term.

  A bit clumsy way is to use "Publish as... " menu and save the
content into "MyEtoys", not in "[... Journal]".  And then get the .pr
files from "/home/olpc/isolation".

  There are scripts available here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Datastore_symbolic_links

to create symlinks and rsync with --copy-links option.
But it appears that the names will be lost.

  Alternatively, it is fairly straitforward to write a script that
looks at /home/olpc/.sugar/default/datastore/store/*.metadata and copy
the etoys projects.

> 3) sometimes there's directories that contain html, rc.gz, and
> manifest files

  This probably happened when the saving didn't succeed and it left
intermediate files.

> 1) can you keep the .pr extension on all of them (makes our life
> *much* easier)
>
> 2) for the files without the versioning, are we possibly losing some
> versions of same-named projects?  (even the latest?)

  I might have to suggest that "Publish as..." may be straightforward
at the moment.

> 3) are there any bits from directories other than the one above that
> we need to preserve (we don't care about description/tag journal stuff)

  The real data is under datastore/store, if you save them into
Journal.