[Etoys] rendering devanagari
yoshiki at vpri.org
Fri Apr 11 14:19:22 EDT 2008
> I was wondering if the chances of proper rendering have increased for
> Devanagari in the last couple of months? The last post on the subject
> I managed to fish from the archives was from December, and I believe
> someone (Yoshiki?) was working on it at the time. What are the issues
> at the moment?
A bit of increase, yes. Updates #1932 through #1934 have support
for text rendering by Pango. It works in some cases but needs some
- Fully update your etoys-3.0.image.
- Make sure that VM is later than squeakvm3.9-12olpc5 (or something like that).
- Open a TextMorph (or UserText), and get an inspector for
it. (Don't try it something in a SystemWindow like Workspace.)
- In the inspector, try something like (this is greek range):
self contents: (String newFrom: (16r386 to: 16r38F) collect: [:i | (Character value: i)]).
- In the same inspector, try:
self usePango: true.
- Click or move the text to cause redrawing.
- Possibly, select the text, get the Change font menu from halo and
say 'external font'. I can't tell top of my head that what would
be the appropriate font name for Devanagari, but if you're lucky
(such as have a font, Pango has the engine, etc.)
it would render it.
More information about the Etoys