[Etoys] how to let activities write to file without risking security

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 06:16:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Korakurider <korakurider at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  Before thinking about solution, could you explain specificaly what you
>  want to write to disk and how that will be used?
>
>  /Korakurider

Well, I was wondering on a general level how Sugar handles this,
because I ran into similar problems when trying DOOM last week. On a
specific level I wondered how to save a Squeak image and how to deal
with saving projects.

I already got my answers from an earlier mail to this list from Bert:

"You must have the
startupInUntrustedDirectory preference enabled, in which case not the
image directory becomes the default directory, but rather what was
passed as SQUEAK_USERDIR environment variable in the etoys-activity
script. That script takes care to set it to the activity-writable
location ($SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT/data), see

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API#Writable_Directories"

Then I got a warning about not being able to write to the changes
file, and found some preference variables to toggle that'll do the
work. (warnIfChangesFileReadOnly or warnIfNoChangesFile). That's
enough info for me right now. But if someone has a good idea about
saving an image and writing to the changes file on the XO, I'm all
ears.

/Ties