[Etoys] Heap expansion with big truetype fonts

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Oct 22 22:10:37 EDT 2007

Just a quick note in general that this message sparked: "Fast enough"
isn't a good metric on a (possibly human) powered computer.  In this
case, joules comes out of a child's hide (literally).  So always think
about performance, even once you have met real time requirements, to
save power.
                                 Regards,
                                         - Jim

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 13:09 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2007, at 15:13 , Luke Gorrie wrote:
>
> > Howdy!
> >
> > We've found that memory usage shoots through the roof when we use
> > large truetype fonts with pointsize around 200-300. We've posted
> > details and a project file that reproduces our problem at
> > http://nepal.ole.org/ and it'd be great if a Squeak guru could take a
> > peek and give some hints!
>
> We have a problem with colored TT font rendering. In your test
> project, if you remove the drop shadow in your example, memory
> consumption stays sane. My guess is that with a drop shadow,
> rendering switches between black and blue constantly, thrashing the
> TT glyph cache.
>
> Btw, your games are beautiful! Switching projects is quite slow on
> the XO (up to 20 secs), not sure why that is. But it looks great and
> once in the game it is fast enough. Sound did not work on my joyride
> build (fine on the Mac). And the purple UI is somewhat dark in
> reflective screen mode because of the way the DCON maps colors to
> gray levels.
>
> A quick way of testing it on an XO is putting your image onto a USB
> Flash drive in a folder named "olpc-dev", and rename it to
> "etoys.image". Then clicking the Etoys icon will use that alternate
> image (we put that in for debugging).
>
> If you can make an SVG activity icon I can help you create a
> proper .xo activity bundle from it (unless you have that already).
>
> And did you think about Journal integration and sharing, yet?
>
> - Bert -

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child