[Etoys] olpc vs classic flaps

Timothy Falconer timothy at immuexa.com
Fri Oct 5 11:10:02 EDT 2007

Call me crazy, but I *like* the OLPC toolbar at the top.   Can't tell
you the number of times I had to remind people to click "Navigator"
to do something ... they're used to toolbars.

I'm sure this has been thought of, but what about having the OLPC
black toolbar on both XO and non-XO versions, with the following icons:

XO (as now)
---
1. help
2. previous
3. paint
4. supplies
5. undo
6. languages
7. mesh
..
8. save project
9. quit

Non-XO (* are added from now)
---
1. help
2. previous
3. paint
4. supplies
5. undo
6. languages
7. scaling
..
8. new project *
9. load project * (same as "find")
10. save project
11. publish *
12. quit

Only thing left out is volume.  Using the same toolbar has the
benefit of consistency with OLPC, which will presumably have lots of
documentation, videos, etc.  (I for one don't want to make two sets
of videos)

If people are worried about screen real-estate, make a "toolbar" flap
on it for non-XO, and default to having the toolbar be open (for
newcomers).   Screen hungry types can can click the flap to gain the
space back.

Tim