[Etoys] how do i load a project in newest olpc-etoys image?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Oct 5 03:39:36 EDT 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 5:15 , subbukk wrote:

>> There is - you need to change the permissions of the image, which is
>> located in /usr/share/etoys
> The conventional place to store per-user preferences and files is
> ~/.<app>.
> What is the problem if an image is saved to ~/.etoys/<name>.image?

For one, it would use twice the disk space. We need to retain a clean
copy. Secondly, the etoys image traditionally is not supposed to be
saved - all user content is in projects.

Now, it would be a shame to not be able to do this. I have repeatedly
asked for contributors to make Squeak on OLPC be useful as a
Smalltalk environment once kids have grown out of Etoys. Alas,
without response so far. You're very welcome to change this.

> On XO, ~/.etoys/etoys.image can be symlinked to /usr/share/etoys/
> so it cannot
> be overwritten.

Because of the security architecture on the XO, traditional Unix file
locations do not necessarily work. You can't simply write to the home
directory. There is per-activity storage though which could be used
for this (it's supposed to hold configuration data that is global to
all activity instances). But since this has not been implemented yet
and the spec is shifting, I do not yet know the exact location.