[Etoys] How to distribute amd install MO for Apps

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Nov 17 08:00:07 EST 2007

On Nov 17, 2007, at 9:10 , Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> 2007/11/16, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:
>> You would need to hack the startup script and include the image in
>> your .xo. I did that for the OLE Nepal image:
>>
>> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2007-November/001394.html
>
> So is tooking the etoys.xo bundle, uncompress it, update the image
> with drgeo, will do the trick? Eventually I could do a math wise image
> and integrate BotsInc aswell.

No. As I wrote, look at the EPaati bundle I made. It contains an
image, and I adapted the startup scripts to use that image.

The Etoys bundle contains *only* the scripts, not the image or the
example projects. It relies on the etoys version installed via rpm.
This is to allow sharing of that image between bundles, because
bundles can only depend on system-installed files, not on files in
other bundles.

>> However, it would be extremely inefficient space-wise to do that as
>> 99% of the image would be identical to the etoys image and you're
>> simply wasting 15 MB of space.
>
> Obviously.
> But worst, I think OLPC has a very hard time regarding its
> pedagogical value.
> May be it could be acceptable where there are no previous computer
> experience but it could be rejected in other place where there a
> previous experience and clear expectation about computer use in
> education.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but I agree that OLPC has its
self-made problems coming across as an education project. But
fortunately, there are people like you who have this vision and are
doing something about it, and this is indeed appreciated by OLPC.