[Etoys] can't install Squeak on Ubuntu 7.10 -- could not finddisplay driver vm-display-X11

Offray Vladimir Luna Cardenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Mon Nov 12 07:48:37 EST 2007

Hi Bryan,

Bryan Berry wrote:
> I have been trying to install Squeak on Ubuntu 7.10 w/out success
>
> I was able to install it w/ Debian packages but the sound didn't work.
> At the advice of my colleague Luke Gorrie I tried installing it from the
> VM-Source tarball
> http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/unix-linux/Squeak-3.9-8.src.tar.gz
>
> I used the documentation in /unix/doc/HowToBuildFromSource.pdf
>
> I ran the configure script and got an error that it couldn't find
> npsqueak libraries.
>
> I then tried ../config/configure --without-npsqueak
>
> it configured but this showed up in the config.log
>
> configure:26825: result: ******** disabling vm-display-X11
>
> I then did make and make install
>
> Predictably, I get this error when I try to open a squeak image
>
> $ squeak olenepal-demo.4.image
> could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
>   - check that /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-8/vm-display-X11.so exists, or
>   - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
>   - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> Please assist :)

When I have had this problem in the past, I solved copying npbsqueak.so
from other places to the proper location... It's a guess but I think
you can have --without-npsqueak and *at the same time* graphical
display. See that you get "configure:26825: result: ******** disabling
vm-display-X11" as a result of your compilation and also a complain
about the inhability to find the "vm-display-X11" driver.

We have the installation procedure documented (in Spanish) here:

http://www.el-directorio.org/Squeak/Instalacion#head-1575ffc64426e6e4adec2c3d873b422ef2f43c62

Notice the root permissions to run the install script, for better
results. My test machine for building that doc was pretty similar to
yours (with an older Ubuntu, but this is not a big deal)

Cheers,

Offray

[...]
> Help! Part of my job is to teach people how to use Squeak so our
> development team (the real programmers) can focus full-time on
> developing learning activities w/ Squeak. I need to get up to speed on
> Squeak quickly.  Thanks

I hope this help. What learning activities and experiences are you and
your team working on?

Cheers,

Offray