[Etoys] Circles and Ellipses with embeded objects

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 22:26:51 EST 2007

[Etoys] Circles and Ellipses with embeded objects

Hi Karl, Hi Yoshiki

CircleMorphs are similar to PolygonMorphs in there
rotation policy.
They both behave differently from ellipses and
rectangles when rotated.
This becomes apparent when you add submorphs to them
and then rotate.

I started to do some analysis and comparisons here:

http://209.143.91.36/super/727
Rotation and Scaling, Reflection and Growth

and a mantis issue
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5674
5674: Why doesn't heading = forwardDirection +
rotationDegrees for all morphs all the time?

I've done more thinking since then but haven't
collected those further thoughts into publishable
stuff. Maybe now that there is an interest...

***
>Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
>Thu Nov 1 04:14:44 EDT 2007
>
>  Well, I'm not doing a good job to advocate to
remove CircleMorph and
>these special cases...
>
>  Karl's fix is a start, but for example typing a
number into the
>"heading" slot in the CircleMorph doesn't work.
There is some other
>bad assumptions around it...
>
>-- Yoshiki
>
>At Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:38:50 +0100,
>Karl wrote:
>>
>> [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]
>> antonio wrote:
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > Actually when you rotate an EllipseMorph instance
with another object
>> > embeded, then this object -the second one-  also
rotate, but when you
>> > rotate a CircleMorph instance with another object
embeded, the second
>> > one do not rotate solidarity.
>> Here is a fix <snipped>
>>
>> Karl