[Etoys] Interactive Story Telling and Etoys

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Mon Mar 12 09:40:43 EDT 2007

Hi all,

First a little of background:

It seems that these days, most movement on education and Squeak is
happening at this list :). Squeakland has been quiet for a while and
Extremadura Small-land uses Yahoo Groups and not community owned
infrastructure for communication (I have not a YahooID and I don't want
to be forced to have one to belong to a community list).

I was using Small-land Extremadura's image of Squeak for my initial
classes and courses because of the documentation available in Spanish
for my students. But seeing the traffic on the lists, the potential
impact of OLPC in education and the continuous development of this image
over say Squeakland or Small-land, I'm planning to use OLPC etoys image
for my courses and classes at least at the beginning (before using the
excelent BotsInc image from Stephanne Ducasse).

I'm planning also to use this image in Schools with computer labs where
children can develop content for the OLPC even if our government still
has not commitment officially with the project.

So here come the questions:

 * I have attached a small sketch of a book. It's a story from one of
the most famous Colombian poets and author of a long list of children
stories. It was originally sketched on Extremadura image, but now I want
to change the layout of graphical elements for the etoys image (with
lower resolutions ballon text overlaps images all the time).

   - ¿It's possible to say where the help balloons are going to be
located?, ¿can they be made semitransparent and control the level of
transparency?
   - ¿Any pointer to documentation of how can I made a drawing follow
some invisible path on another drawing?

 * ¿There is any plan of unification/feedback for this work with the
Squeak-land, Small-land images? Would be nice to have a active developed
image that can be used on different kind of machines, from OLPC to
Desktops with different size resolutions and content that can be adapted
visually to them, without much redoing.

I will try to test the project on the prototype of the physical machine
send to us this week and will see how adapts to the screen.

Cheers,

Offray