[Etoys] How to translate Etoys

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jul 21 04:40:28 EDT 2007

On Jul 21, 2007, at 7:06 , Tibi wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I want to translate Etoys (I saw it's already translated in
> Spanish, Japanese etc.) in Romanian,

Great, Tibi!

> but can't find the .mo files with the existing translations.
>
> Can anybody point me these .mo files' location and maybe the steps
> I have to take in order my translation to appear in the official
> release of Etoys?

Etoys used a translation system different from gettext until now. All
the translations that are in there use Squeak's own translation
mechanism. You could use that - press Alt-Shift-W to bring up a menu
and select open... - Language editor.

However, we are working on switching to gettext to make it simpler
for others to contribute translations:

	http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2133

We already can generate .pot files, but are not completely satisfied
with the results yet:

On Jul 12, 2007, at 17:39 , Takashi Yamamiya wrote:

> You can extract .pot files with each class category from OLPC etoys
> image with
>
> GetTextExporter2 new export.
>
> Although, there are some issues, apparently you might notice that
> sometimes a keyword shows twice, it looks good start.

Takashi, I just notice that all the tile commands are missing,
perhaps because these are no literal senders of #translated?

Tibi, I'd ask you to wait a bit on the translations. If you want to
start now, use the old tools, or work off the .pot files I attached,
but be prepared that these will change soon (they will be merged to
fewer files).

Thank you!