[Etoys] EToys as textbook/exercise replacement ?

ΠΕΤΣΟΣ ΧΡΗΣΤΟΣ chrispetsos at sch.gr
Sat Jul 7 04:40:56 EDT 2007

Just want to state my personal experience with all these to our friend
Orestis...
I used squeak and etoys this February for the first time...The truth is
that at start using (and programming in etoys) was a bit frustrating,
especially if you are an OO developer or you 've never used a
dynamically-typed environment like Smalltalk. My feeling is that the
squeak environment is more "loose" than a "traditional" programming
environment (like Emacs you said) and this can be both good and bad.
For instance, you can disable all keyboard input by commenting a single
line in a class browser...i mean that you have the power to do all
sorts of low-level things (and mess them up quite much). This is normal
for a squeak starter. From my point of view, in general you should
consider squeak more like an autonomous operating system than a simple
programming environment (i think there was a case where they tried to
port in a machine as a sole opertating system, not under a VM).
Now in terms of development, smalltalk gives all the power of OO
development (you can apply design principles and patterns, do some
refactoring etc.) and yet be fun and always handy. Also, for a
functional progammer the thing that i believe is most confusing at
start is that there are no explicit execution flow control structures
(like if, for, while etc.). Yet, all flow control is done by message
passing...you can find many useful tutorials as Hilaire proposed that
can sort all these things out.
You can find a tutorial for java programmers here

http://www.objectsroot.com/squeak/squeak_tutorial.html

helped me a lot at start, cause you can kind of see mapping from java
programming to squeak programming.

Starting with some tutorials and creating a few simple examples on your
own i believe that will give you a good learning curve in a two months
time...

Good luck and have fun...

Christos.