[Etoys] Collaborative Multimedia authoring (Re: New eToys)

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Fri Jan 26 15:46:30 EST 2007

Hi all,

I was reading the article and seems that is the answer to a question I
made some weeks ago about collaborative multimedia authoring on the
squeakland and squeak beginners mailing lists (seems that these days if
one want a quick answer on Squeak and Education, this is the place ;-p ).

The people who is enabling teachers on New Technologies and Education
(the center is called Ceantic) is making a course with me about Social
Software, Learners Networks and Virtual Learning "Objects".

For the first we are using specially Wikis/Blikis,

For the second we want to consolidate a colombian/spanish Squeak
community. There are other spanish communities but, as far as I know,
they don't have owned/free infrastructure for communication (they depend
on google groups, yahoo groups, your-favorite-non-community-corporation
groups) with the obligation to have a extra ID and to get undesired
publicity just for communication with others in the list. We would like
to have our community  (with a non sponsored publicity mailing list) and
start to interact with other squeakers (language is our first barrier,
but we are trying to overpass it, as some of you viewed in the
Squeakfest 2006).

For the third the idea is to use Squeak as a medium for the expression
of a (academical) community. The idea is not only use it on programming
but also y the creation of multimedia content for other classes.

WYSIwiki seems a perfect match and bridge for Software Social (wikis)
and multimedia content. I have tried it using the browser plugin from
Small-land (I think) and after trying to open documents at
http://tinlizzie.org/public/ but after saying that the "image" is going
to be actualized then nothing happens. Need I another plugin?

Talking about the plugin I think that the use of Portable Apps could be
a solution in places where the installation of the plugins in browsers
are restricted. Students can have a USB stick with Firefox portable with
the plugin enabled. May be another (silly) possibility is to have some
kind of Ajax rendering in the browser of graphical events in the Squeak
Plugin... I don't know.

People at Ceantic is not afraid of "thinking bigger" or take risk. So
how can we use Tinlizzie in the course at this moment? I will try to
install/use and probe at the beginning of the next week... so if
Squeakers can answer this soon would be better. We can help testing your
platform and even develop it if we learn enough about it.

Hoping your answer,

Offray