[Etoys] Examples need to be updated

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Jan 9 19:23:53 EST 2007

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   Some support for translation would be important.

There is Diego's "Babel" code in Squeak 3.8 (not to be confused with the
project called "Babel" in Croquet) but that is only usable for computer
generated strings, while most of the text in the examples are created by
hand. And Babel doesn't deal with the layout problems that replacing
text causes.

> On the other hand,
> if a country/language group is large enough, it should be able to host
> its own set of these examples.  Wikipedia doesn't rely on such
> (automatic) translation.  And, yes, any kind of volunteer and help is
> always welcome!

That would be acceptable but OLPC doesn't want to have a per country
distribution. So we would need some scheme to have multiple versions of
the same projects and then have Squeak load the right ones. Except for
the very top project selecting the right one could be just a matter of
giving them different names.

> > > http://digitalmediauniverse.blogspot.com/2006/12/etoys-precisa-de-uma-reviso.html
> >
> > but it is pointless for those who don't read Portuguese (see what I
> > mean? ;-)
>
>   Now, you've got to to explain what this entry says!

He says you can program for the OLPC in Javascript (as he does in his
AlphaCity project), Smalltalk (he points to his Squeak/Croquet
tutorials) or Python. Then he talks about eToys and how people could use
it to write games.

He mentions that he did some quick tests with the Squeak system included
in the OLPC images and noticed that some parts had been translated to
Portuguese while others were still in English, and said that would make
it very difficult for the kids to use. He says he doesn't have time to
work more with this, but it would be a good idea for someone to write
some tutorials for teachers and kids. Then he links to a video of the
eToys intro.

-- Jecel