[Etoys] Examples need to be updated

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Tue Jan 9 04:39:30 EST 2007

  Hello,

  This week, another software "freeze" for B2 machine is supposed to
happen.  Thanks to everybody contributed and gave moral support, Etoys
part is basically in pretty good shape.

  The developers' practice we learned from B1 machine is that they
reflash the entire disk image very often, as there is no official
system update mechanism for OLPC yet.  This means that the software
"deadline" isn't really a "dead" line.  Everyday, people reflash the
disk image with whatever we would like to put.

  A difference of B2 machine is that it will be produced in bigger
quantity, and some of them are going to non-developers.  These
non-developers wouldn't update the disk image, but they shouldn't care
the detail so much either, hopefully.  If our Etoys is functioning as
much as it is doing now, these non-developers users will be fine, too.

  Anyway, again, we are basically in good shape.  However, we need to
update the examples.  Because we change fonts, all projects we would
like to carry forward to B2 from B1 should be revisited and updated.

  To help this process, I published a change set that automatically
updates scriptors and watchers.  However, there are some need for
human intervention; the scriptors will become bigger so they may
overlap, buttons or other widgets such as RecordingControlMorph won't
get updated, etc., etc.

  Also, it would be nice to have some more examples for Diego's Video
stuff, WorldStethoscope and new sound features, times repeat, and
Scott's event roll, etc.

  If you have any suggestions, please send us project files.

  Thank you!