[Etoys] [Localization] How to make multiple writing character sets available?

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 01:27:28 EST 2007

Hi.
My reply isn't any resolution to your problem, sorry.  But I want to
share with you about situation for EToys.

We have been populating Japanese translations for EToys (aka
Squeakland distribution) and faced similar problem.  We didn't
restrict use of Kanji for the distribution (and that is now on Pootle)
while we tried to use easy words...  As user can easily configure the
translation dictionary for EToys, a Japanese volunteer built and
published Hiragana dictionary (I don't remember the URL right now...)
.  By installing we could switch between Japanese and
Japanse-Hiragana.  You could ask about this in Squeak-ja community.

We don't have good rubi support in current OLPC software. (note that
someone in Japan tried to extend Pango to support rubi or
Japanese-specifics, but what gettext can do is just converting plain
string to another plain string).  So IMHO possible option for us right
now would be
   + define the targetted audience for the first priority and populate
dictionary for them
   + populate it for another audience
   + try to support multiple variants for one language

Cheers,
/Korakurider

P.S. You used Japanese characters in your mail to describe the
problem.  But for many of subscribers of this list the gryph can't be
shown in their mail client at all ...