[Etoys] Squeak VM status concerning language encodings

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Dec 3 09:18:58 EST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007, at 14:22 , Chris Petsos wrote:

>>> I upgrated to latest sugar-jbuild and i greek layout works in
>>> activities like
>>> abiword of konsole, but under etoys i only get ????? when i try to
>>> insert
>>> greek uft8 chars. So i guess the utf8 support of squeak does not
>>> work "out of
>>> the box" :(
>>
>> As mentioned several times before, no, Etoys does not have greek
>> glyphs in its fonts. This is a font problem, not an encoding problem.
>>

> Does the eToys image have the ability to load True Type
> (preferrably unicode) fonts?

We also did discuss that before. Squeak's TTF importer discards code
points > 255. Again, here is a hack around this:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-June/
105184.html

And because it is a terribly inefficient hack, Yoshiki has not yet
pushed it into the official image. He's the one working on font/m17n
issues.