[Etoys] Sugar Nav bar problems

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 23 09:05:52 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Just built a new RPM, image version 1276. This includes the new nav
bar in Sugar look, Scott's blueprint canvas, and the implicit self
tiles.

The ZIP file is available as usual from

	http://etoys.laptop.org/

but I have not published the RPM yet (it's on tinlizzie though).

The problem is that as soon as the sugar nav bar is enabled, there is
a pause every second. The tiny car moves some steps, then stops,
moves, stops. This is only visible on the XO, my desktop is too fast.
Disabling the flap cures this.

MessageTally indicates that undoButtonAppearance is the culprit. It
rebuilds the undo icon every second, which apparently is not a cheap
operation. Maybe using an 8-bit bitmap with a colormap would be more
efficient? To get really fancy we'd even need to support two colors
plus alpha, because the original icons have a fill color, stroke
color, and transparency info.

Also, on the XO the navbar looks tiny, I think each button must be
75x75 px.