[Etoys] A few notes on eToys interface - playing withlatest eToys in olpc

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Wed Apr 11 13:00:22 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Sorry, I hope this time the mail comes properly now.

Offray

-------

Hi all,

Diego Gomez Deck escribió:
> Hi folks,
>
> Almost all of the features you're talking about are already implemented
> (and working for years) in the Small-Land image.

That was what I was talking about in my mention on the Extremadura's
Squeak images. Nice to have the author on this threat also :) and to
have the possibility to finally talk with you (Blog commentaries and MSN
talk were not much helpful previosly)

> In beginner mode, the dockbars can't be removed nor moved nor sized.
> But in non-beginner mode, the standard halos are available to handle the
> dock-bars.

And as I said, this helps a lot to beginners in my experiences using the
Extremadura's Squeak image for teaching at University.

> More to say: This Small-Land changes are already included in 3.9.  I
> propose to use/expand THIS work instead of create another
> implementation.

Would be nice to have the look and feel of the Yoshiki's dock bar in the
behavior of the Diego's dock bar. But the dock bar seems a little buggy
on 3.9. It works on 3.9-final#7067, but on previous or latter ones it
doesn't keeps inside the projects even in the option "show dock bar" is
enabled and one need to to disable and enable it to see inside every
project and to get a consistent interface. On the other hand change sets
for bugs like the one in bookmarks inside bookmorphs work well on OLPC
image and Squeakland image but are not applicable on Extremadura's
image. That fragmentation of work creates barriers for newcomers to the
Squeak world in having a coherent view of the "different Squeaks", and
lacks from sense compatibility and continuity from the omni user point
of view. May be, as a new comer that I'm, I'm loosing something about
some Squeak way to do things, but other newcomers here in Colombia share
the same feeling and would be nice to have some defense or reason about
that. ¿Would be possible to have more continuity on the "Squeak
Multiverse"? and, for example, going from eToys to Bots Inc (and even
Scratch) and from one interface to another or even generate content in
one image to be usable in other even considering the different aspect
ratio and screen resolution.

> Cheers,
>
> -- Diego

Cheers,