[Etoys] A few notes on eToys interface - playing with latest eToys in olpc

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Tue Apr 10 03:31:53 EDT 2007

  Milan,

  Your suggestions were great!  I kept silence, but I was attempting
to solve some of the issues you raised.

  What we've been talking about is to have a Sugar-like menu bar for
Etoys.  There are a few ways of doing it, but I now made one in
Morphic.  Please update your image.

  With the latest change, you now have a stationary menu bar that
resembles the activities in Sugar have.  For now, the functionality is
almost just copy of our nav-bar.  If the user is familiar with the
browser activity of Sugar, he should have better chance to figure out
how to go back in EToys as well.

  Some more things:

  - I can think of adding "home" button to really go to the initial
    screen.
  - I'm planning to add the tooltip or baloon help for these buttons.
  - I know that the viewer tab placement has to be fixed.
  - I have to say that the gray color looks horrible...  But for the
    general audience, similarity to the other Sugar apps should mean
    something.  (I would say that we can make it look a bit more
    playful yet the overall button design inherits the design of Sugar
    buttons.)
  - The button size currently I use is too small compared to the other
    Sugar activities.  It should be fixed.

  Let me know what you think!

-- Yoshiki