[Etoys] OPLC video on youtube.com

karl karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sat Nov 25 12:56:14 EST 2006

Alan Kay skrev:
> Maybe we should at least tell the guy who made the video ???
>
> He probably couldn't even see the exit button from the continuous
> demos ....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> -------------
>
> At 05:27 AM 11/25/2006, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On Nov 25, 2006, at 11:54 , karl wrote:
>>
>>> I saw on Slashdot a link to a video of the UI of the OPLC:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwzCsOFxT-U&mode=related&search=
>>>
>>> It was painful to watch the Squeak part of that video. I shows so
>>> many of the common mistakes
>>> people make with Squeak. And it shows a lot of  quirks in Squeak
>>> and etoys. Should the event playback be modal so the user input
>>> will not disrupt the playback. What are do other people think ?
>>
>> The problem is that the emulation images are not set up to run at the
>> original resolution, but at 640x480. One has to fix them before
>> running, but that is too cumbersome for most people:
>>

>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images_for_emulation#Image_Configuration
>>
>> I filed a bug to correct this:
>>
>>         http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/504
>>
>> But maybe we need to lobby someone to get it fixed ASAP.
Granted, but there are a few issues that are Squeak specific:

He pulls a game out of the Object tool but he drops it within the bounds
of the Object tool and the game disappears! Quite confusing.

He tries to get the game again, and the game gets embedded in a project
within a project, and the game gets cropped off. Also quite confusing to
a new user. (The same will happen to Script tiles when you have a
PasteUpMorph on the desktop.)

Event playback is not modal, so you can change stuff while the playback
is playing, like close the paint palette. This is confusing. Maybe event
playback could happen within a 'playback morph' with 'video player
buttons' to control the playback ?

Karl