[Egypt-opensource] Re: Egypt-opensource Digest, Vol 2, Issue 2

Joel Mitchell joel.mitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 17:03:31 EDT 2006

some more thoughts...
I think we are all on the same page in thinking that censoring is a
battle we don't really want to fight, and ultimately can't win in the
sense that there is always some loophole.  And I agree with Roland,
that it isn't really OLPC's problem or responsibility.  However I am
thinking more from the perspective of helping the Egyptian government
and Egyptian communities address these problems.  If filtering of
sites  perceived as morally corrupting youth is allowed to fall
through the cracks, it could lead to problems and cause a refusal and
rejection of the project for political reasons, before it's given the
chance to prove itself.  I think if there was some forethought to some
of the security issues it would prevent last-minute problems and
inadequate patches that don't address some of the deeper issues.  For
example one of the dangers I could see (that would fall closer to
OLPC's "responsibility" as others might see it) would be the creation
of sizable intranet's, rather than actual internet access.  For
example, in a city like Cairo, you could have a million kids that are
connected to each other in a 1-mile radius without internet access,
and someone might think, "Wow, I could disseminate a huge amount of
information to a huge number of kids (or their families for that
matter), if I just access this mesh network."  And who would be able
to have any idea what's going on?  That is something that could really
cause concern to political leaders in Egypt (as well as lots of other
places), and if it is brought to their attention late in the game it
could throw a wrench in the process.  My suggestion is not that we
should be eager to censor, but eager to inform in matters of such
sensitivity, even before we are asked, concerning the possible
scenarios that could arise, and how to anticipate them.  Actually the
long-term goal would be equipping and training the Egyptians who will
eventually be responsible for those issues how to understand the
systemic nature and the implications of the huge scale of the project.
 Is there some way to identify the potential Egyptian leaders in this
area, and start thinking with them about how to anticipate and
navigate some of these potential problems?

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Security, Filtering and Islam (Khaled Hassounah)
   2. Re: Security, Filtering and Islam
      (Roland.A.Burger - Club of Rome think tank 30 Italy)

Message: 1