[Egypt-opensource] Security, Filtering and Islam

Joel Mitchell joel.mitchell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 15:20:43 EDT 2006

I have wondered, as someone living in a primarily Islamic country, if there
is or will be a significantly greater concern about security and filtering
of inappropriate content in Egypt.  I have heard that there is already some
sort of centralized filtering or surveillance of internet activity generally
in Egypt, but the standards for this might be higher for children.  I read a
recent article about
8e6<http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060705005083&newsLang=en>working
on some security solutions, but I wondered how far this had gotten.
I would love to hear whether this has come up in talks with Egypt and the
Ministry of Education people there.
thanks,
    Joel