[Educators] OLPC and astronomy

Benjamin, Thomas THOMAS.BENJAMIN at det.nsw.edu.au
Wed Jun 26 18:57:08 EDT 2013

Surplus Shed has deals on optics to make simple telescopes. The Galileoscope project produced some inexpensive ones. But the key thing in astronomy is a star map. Without an old-fashioned star wheel and atlas it is hard for a beginner to find anything. I would bet that a novice armed with Olcott's 1930 Fieldbook of the Sky and a vintage star wheel would easily outperform a novice armed with digital gear in finding anything worth viewing in the sky.

Tom Benjamin