[Educators] Partnering in Kenya

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:00:30 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM, samuel maloba <samimaloba at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I have interest to work as a content developer in kenya, anyone who has done it please get in touch

Hujambo.

Are you in touch with OLPC Kenya?

I have had some discussions about Swahili and English instruction for
the Maasai, and other such issues, and I am working on locating and
adapting existing resources. We are also working on educational
technology issues, such as the creation of interactive digital
learning materials to replace both printed textbooks and static PDFs.
HTML5 and EPUB3 are leading candidates.

Can you tell us what sort of content you have in mind? Do you mean
content specific to Kenya? That covers a wide range, including
agriculture, health, language, literature, art, music, history,
geography, civics, and more. Or do you mean non-specific content in
languages of Kenya, including Swahili and Maa?

Can I interest you in working on learning materials more generally in
the Sugar Labs program for Replacing Textbooks (link below)? We aim to
produce materials on every subject at every level in every language
needed, whether in global form (as for much of math and science) or
local adaptation depending on conditions on the ground.

I am using the US Peace Corps's excellent Spanish language textbook
for myself, and I am about to ask them whether they would give
permission to put that and their other excellent language textbooks
under Creative Commons licenses. This includes English, Swahili, and
many more. For example,

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/detail?accno=ED012897
ED012897 - AN ACTIVE INTRODUCTION TO SWAHILI. GENERAL CONVERSATION.

We would then need a Swahili speaker to work on an improved digital version.

We can also use translators for Sugar manuals and textbooks, and
localizers for Sugar activities.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/
http://booki.treehouse.su/
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/sw/

> samimaloba at yahoo.com
>  or call me +254710494999

+1 812 764 0552

Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin