[Educators] Open Source Literacy Software?

Mike Dawson mikeofmanchester at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 12:37:00 EST 2009

Dear Educators,

We are preparing to get ready for the first school in Afghanistan to
receive XO laptops here in Jalalabad.  Literacy here is a relatively
high 60% as far as I can find out - nationwide it's more like 70-80%
illiteracy.

We were hoping that when the kids go to sleep at home that we can find
something to help adults learn literacy as well as other skills, but
without the literacy the others of course shall be far more
difficult...

I have seen:

free-reading.net - web based research based literacy activities -
seems to have no internationalization and is exclusively for K-3
children
litnow.org - seems to have exactly the right objective, but I can't
find any hint of any actual software... I have sent in the contact
form and will see what (if anything) comes back.

There is quite a lot of literacy related traditional (paper) based
materials around here - so getting the ingredients should not be
difficult.  If anyone knows of anything that might meet this or anyone
interested in working together to start something like that please let
us know...

Thanks/Regards,

-Mike