[Educators] Jonathan Drori: Why we don't understand as much as we think we do

Daniel Ajoy da.ajoy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 00:48:18 EDT 2008

Video
Jonathan Drori: Why we don't understand as much as we think we do

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonathan_drori_on_what_we_think_we_know.html

similar to this argument by Alan Kay:

http://www.campbells.org/Rant+Rave/r+r_PowerfulIdeas.html

Powerful Ideas Need Love Too!
Alan Kay
Fellow, Apple Computer Corp.

Written remarks to a Joint Hearing of the Science Committee and the Economic and Educational and Opportunites Committee

October 12, 1995

Let me start the conversation by showing a video made by the National Science Foundation at a recent Harvard commencement, in which they asked some of the graduating seniors and their professors a few simple questions about what causes the seasons and the phases of the moon. All were confident about their answers, but roughly 95% gave explanations that were not even close to what science has discovered. Their main theories were that the seasons are caused by the Earth being closer to the sun in summer, and that the phases of the moon are caused by the Earth's shadow. Some of the graduates had taken quite a bit of science in high school and at Harvard. NSF used this to open a discussion about why science isn't learned well even after years of schooling. And not learned well even by most of the successful students, with high SATs, at the best universities, with complete access to computers, networks, and information.

(Spanish translation here:
http://neoparaiso.com/logo/ideas-poderosas.html
)

Daniel