[Educators] [Localization] Empowering teachers

Bastien bzg at altern.org
Fri Jun 20 00:40:35 EDT 2008

Yama Ploskonka <yama at netoso.com> writes:

> Let's work on interactive models for teacher training, that encourage
> teacher-to-teacher collaboration, that encourage teachers exploring and
> discovering, that enable teachers to contribute to other teachers
> learning.

Sure.

But educational systems in *poor* countries tend to stick to their old
model (I mean: more than less poor countries.)  You cannot expect such
systems to change as quickly as systems where you can get volunteers,
etc., where "community" has about the same meaning it has in FLOSS
development.

Let's make this parallel: Free Software requires a rich environment to
thrive, and from an economical point of view, poor countries should be
the first to benefit from it.  Similarily, new educational practices
require a rich (social, intellectual, pedagogical) environment to be
brought up, and poor countries should also be the first to benefit
from it.

The problem is that implementing new educational practice is a bit
more complex than downloading Free Software on the web!

--
Bastien