[Educators] Empowering teachers

Daniel Ajoy da.ajoy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 19:46:56 EDT 2008

I'm not sure if the subject should be "Empowering teachers" anymore. Anyway...

I agree with the following:

> It is my opinion that the third party Bastien mentions might have to do
> with implementing policies that stress two-way communication, both
> to-from OLPC and end users, and also transversal communication among
> stakeholders including solidly engineered features that *encourage*
> feedback *by default*.
>Brilliant hardware like the XO, even with Sugar, will not make things
> *happen* if the enforced policies are not actually designed to encourage
> things to happen.

the "troyan horse" should be a well designed machine.

Examples of these "default" configuration policies can already be seen:

* the choice of core activities, and their order in the task bar.

* the browser has GNASH installed instead of flash, limiting the access to flash gadgets, mostly instructive applications.

* in the Uruguay image I have there is a directory called

/home/olpc/library_pages

which is dictating what type of content is readily available to the children, through the Browser activity (local content)

* the list of feeds in the News Reader activity is empty. Wouldn't it make sense to make every children in Uruguay aware of the changes in the Ceibal wiki?

* what is the default home page of the Browser activity?

* wouldn't it make sense for a government to set up a Colaboration Platform, if not a wiki or moodle, then something else, and provide access for every laptop to this platform, by default?

* wouldn't it make sense to collect or setup email accounts for all the teachers attending trainings and then subscribe them to an email discussion group, by default?

Daniel