[Educators] Empowering teachers

Bastien bzg at altern.org
Thu Jun 19 10:56:46 EDT 2008

Yama Ploskonka <yama at netoso.com> writes:

> Thoughts on this subject, on _how_ to make it happen?

I agree that empowering teachers is key.  This happens when teachers
work *together*.  And they better work together when they do not only
depend on the local Ministry of Education.  Having a third part in the
loop certainly helps in making them understand that teaching is about
children, not just about "be a teacher in some educational system".

XO is the door.  But someone *else* (than the traditional institutional
interlocutor) has to enter so that teachers might want to breeze a new
air, and get motivated for experimenting new things.

As a day-to-day rule: do not only stand by the Ministry of Education,
do not only stand by the teachers (because you'll get trapped into their
natural hate toward the institution), do not only stand by the children
(that's kind of the easy-and-fake solution) -- just bring something new
in the middle!

PS: sorry I read other contribs on this _after_ I wrote my own rant!

--
Bastien