Announcing OLPC OS 13.2.11

Carrol Riddle ebox382 at scishare.com
Fri Jan 31 18:37:03 EST 2020

The release of 13.2.11 is particularly apropos at this time, as Internet-in-a-Box (IIAB) content has just become accessible to XO laptops here.  Thanks James.

The OER2GO (RACHEL) content packages on IIAB become available to the XO laptop by slightly modifying a "copy" of the index.html(f) of each package.  XO Browse, web browser, can call this copy with http://box.lan/modules/en-ck12/index_xo.html   (e.g., ck12 package), which is compatible with Browse.

This is a long path for routine use, but it is needed only the first time since the XO creates an entry in its Journal.  Clicking on the entry (renamed to package name) would start Browse with the path. The "box" feature of the Journal allows grouping of these entries into menus of applications, each of which can be started with a click. An example menu might consist of: kindergarten, elementary, high school.  A list of index_xo.html(f)'s for various packages is being collected.

This does not work for ZIM files, but there may be a path forward for this.  A similarly modified index (extracted from zim file) would be used.

The package xy utilites for zim files has functions similar to tar archiving (wikipedia), which allows extracting a single file.   IF an xy tool allowed extraction of file within a "href line" in an index.html file, then the indexed contents of the index file might be display for the XO, as with the OER2GO example.

Can anyone provide an example of such ?

Carrol Riddle