OpenFirmware and Linux v5.0 on XO-1.75

Lubomir Rintel lkundrak at v3.sk
Sat Feb 23 12:06:56 EST 2019

On Sat, 2019-02-23 at 10:52 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 12:14:00PM +0100, Lubomir Rintel wrote:
> > On Fri, 2019-02-22 at 17:23 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> > > Thanks, very good progress.  Here's what I've done;
> > >
> > > - reviewed the aggregate change from master branch, and each commit,
> >
> > Does it look, eh, reasonable? Got any comments/suggestions?
>
> Yes, it looks reasonable.  Given that the firmware would not need to
> run in factory and would only be used with a new kernel, the rest of
> the firmware functions won't need to be considered.  I'm not worried
> if it breaks the self-test features, for example.

Makes sense. I think the self-test still works and none of the existing
funcitionality was broken deliberately.

[...]

I've given the thing some more testing and fixed up some of the
commits. I've also added an ext2fs fix that would be corrupting the
file systems with incompatible flags (the stock Fedora image), despite
being able to read it okay:

  git pull https://github.com/lkundrak/openfirmware lr/olpc-xo175-2

(diff it against lr/olpc-xo175-1 to see what changed)

> and the
> > >   keyboard is unresponsive in the dracut shell.
> >
> > Which exact kernel are you using? Keyboard is not expected to work
> > before rc6.
>
> [    0.000000] Linux version 5.0.0-0.rc7.git2.1.fc31.armv7hl (mockbuild at buildvm-armv7-08.arm.fedoraproject.org) (gcc version 9.0.1 20190209 (Red Hat 9.0.1-0.4) (GCC)) #1 SMP Wed Feb 20 21:06:49 UTC 2019
>
> You pointed to it.

Ah, okay. It might then just be that you don't have the olpc_apsp
module in the initrd. That might be the case especially with an older
dracut version and when running a kernel that has the APSP driver
built-in.

Some other drivers might be missing too. Here's one that's known to
have the necessary modules (generated on my f29 running a Fedora
kernel):

https://fedorapeople.org/~lkundrak/initramfs-5.0.0-0.rc7.git2.1.fc31.armv7hl.img

If things still don't work afterwards, please share the dmesg.

> > Also, which config? Mine is basically this:
> > https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hackerspace/olpc-xo175-linux/lr/olpc-xo175/arch/arm/configs/olpc_xo175_defconfig
>
> The config used by Fedora.
>
> Can we work toward some kind of reproducible build?

Not sure what you mean here.

Lubo