OpenFirmware and Linux v5.0 on XO-1.75

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Feb 22 01:23:18 EST 2019

Thanks, very good progress.  Here's what I've done;

- reviewed the aggregate change from master branch, and each commit,

- built the firmware on my xo-4 build server, flashed an xo-1.75 c2
  sku200x2; it boots fine the old kernel from arm-3.0-wip branch, with
  some unimportant problems like keymapping,

- on the fedora 18 root filesystem, installed the 5.0.0
  kernel{-core,-modules,} with --nodeps and --force,

- adjusted boot/ so that olpc.fth runs the 5.0.0 kernel,

- booted it a few times trying to fix the missing root filesystem;
  more work needed, the device name may have changed and i've not
  found a way to find what it is, or it isn't being detected; serial
  console doesn't work even with console=ttyS2,115200, and the
  keyboard is unresponsive in the dracut shell.

My mind has bitrotted.

On your interest in building on x86_64, suggestions;

- there are six 0.1" pitch pads on the back of the PCB which expose
  the SPI Flash chip pins, so you can hook a programmer to them, but
  check the voltage levels; some units used 1.8V chips, most used
  3.3V.

- build a composite image by hand using the cforth you know already
  works, and the openfirmware built on x86_64,

- use binary comparison of the .rom file to make sure the cforth
  section hasn't changed much; if it hasn't, probably good to go, but
  if it has, no idea.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/